5.02.2010

Dear Nathanael (10 days)

Dear Nathanael,

Ten days ago, you were born. Your daddy likes to say that you "surfaced from the womb." (He's funny.) The last ten days of my life have been just as life-changing as I imagined. I remember a friend telling us recently that after less than two months, he could barely remember what life was like before his infant, and now he couldn't imagine it without her. I feel that way with you, my dear. I love you so very deeply, Nathanael.

I love spending hours with you in the middle of the night, reading and praying and singing together. The time with you is such a blessing for me, and I love involving you in my relationship with Jesus. I could stare at your adorable little face for an entire day and never tire of watching your expressions change as you sleep and wake and experience hunger or discomfort. I love your chubby cheeks and your pouty bottom lip, your primate toes, your growing belly, your thin brown hair, your strong arms and legs...

I have watched you learn how to nurse like a pro (with my many, many efforts to keep you awake), and Daddy and I have cheered as you bottle fed well on your first try. You've managed to initiate Daddy and me into parenting a son (we know how important it is to cover you when diapering), and you've had your first sponge bath at home. You're amazing with your tummy time (or as Daddy likes to call it, mid-section time). You lift up your head and look around for quite a while! And you love to stare at the black and white letters Daddy created for you.

Nathanael, one day you will be grown and completely independent; it will be strange for you to imagine your infancy. But I pray that the love and sacrifices that Daddy and I are pouring into your life right now will leave an eternal effect on you -- namely that you will know the God who gives us the strength and love to pour into you through the sacrifice of His Son Jesus Christ.

Lovingly,
your mother

1 comment:

Amy D said...

you're a precious mother Kim.
I am so happy for you and Nathanael is so blessed to have you.