3.15.2009

7 days to go!

We fly out next Saturday, and I can hardly believe it's so near! In fact, four years ago Tuesday, I was making the trek from Istanbul to Detroit (for Robin's wedding). I never would have imagined it would take FOUR YEARS to get back there! I can't lie; I do wish I were moving to Istanbul to stay this time and not just visiting for a little over a week.

Greg and I are taking six friends with us. We're hopefully going to show them our beloved city in such a way that they'll never want to leave as well! Actually, I know that the first moment they actually sit down with a Turk and chat, they'll fall in love with these people. They are just that amazingly friendly.

We're going to visit a lot of places, see a lot of things, likely experience some culture shock anew, hopefully meet some people. Part of the trip will even entail getting involved with a community center in a poor neighborhood. We're all excited to be about something deeper than just a tourist trip. We hope to leave a huge chunk of our hearts in that place, everywhere we walk, every person with whom we speak...

If you'd like to know more, send me an email, and I'll add you to our email update list - kimber.king@gmail.com.

Istanbul, Turkey - here we come!

No comments: