10.11.2008

Post October 3rd

Friday, October 3rd has finally passed, and though I am more relieved than anything else, I think I'm also experiencing a little post-event sadness. Last Friday was my office's biggest annual event - our fall career fair. This year we had just over 100 organizations registered (a few less than last year), and we beat our past student attendance record by over 100 students -- 845 students checked in during the three and a half hour period! For an undergraduate student population under 5,000, that's doing really well!

While employers are setting up, before the students arrive
Some action at Honda's booth
I really enjoyed planning the event this year. I had participated quite a bit in helping plan the last two years, but this year it was mine to run and change and improve. We upped our marketing quite a bit, created a logo to use for branding which we plastered everywhere -- we even made coffee sleeves with the logo for the campus cafes to use! (Though we actually found that to be the least productive of all of our marketing pushes.) I had a great team working with me, and I've been even more thankful for them this past week as they've taken over the follow-up while I've been sick.

Did I mention that I've been sick? Ugh! I actually caught the cold four days before the fair and -- thanks to Carrie's wonderful advice and our sovereign God's grace in answering my pleas -- I was able to ward off the inevitable sickness just long enough to make it through the fair. But come Sunday night I was out sick.
If you've been following this blog long enough, you realize that I get sick frequently. And it's depressing to me. I try to do everything right to avoid sickness, but it's always right there knocking on my door. It's amazing how sickness upsets everything in life -- can't get work done, can't take care of things at home (finances, groceries & meals, laundry, cleaning....all go undone), can't spend time with people, can't even keep up with my Bible study!  Greg said to me the other day as I was frustrated about all of this, "Kim, this is something you cannot control. You just need to give your body time to heal." Ouch. Something I cannot control. There's the rub.

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the Name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." Colossians 3:17

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

gecmis olsun canim. love you.
jen

Earl and Lois said...

Both of you are sure keeping busy but Kim. you do not have time to be ill and we hope and pray that you are through with any ornery viruses that might like to bother you. Thanks so much for all your nice updating letting us know about your activities. We have a very light drizzle off and on here today and in the 50 degree range for aa cool fall day.
Our love to both of you.
Grandpa Earl and Grandma Lois.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried IMUNEX? I first found it in Turkey and gave it a try. I lost count after being sick 12 times last winter. Between starting IMUNEX and now, I've only been sick once! I'm not sure what the English brand name is but you could find it on the internet. I know they sell it in health stores here. Love ya! Kaela