1.10.2015

Diving back in

20150110_200314
Since the summer of 2010, when we first began applying to move to Vienna, I have resisted picking up my Turkish language materials in order to focus on learning German.  This week, I gave myself permission to dive back into Turkish!  The anticipation leading up to this week has been great, along with a healthy dose of anxiety.
  • How much will I remember?
  • How long will it take to become comfortable in basic conversation again?  What about complex conversation?
  • Who will be my language helpers?
  • Will my brain ever be able to sort out the multiple foreign languages, or will it always be a confusing mess?  
  • How am I going to make time for this?
  • and on and on...
One thing is already clear.  I love this language.  Reading and speaking and hearing it makes me miss my dear Turkish friends around the world even more.  For example:
  • pronunciation of the Turkish letters -- I think about my first tutor in Waco, Hatice, and how she allowed me to record her pronouncing the o's and u's (o, ö, u, ü).  I listened to that over and over and over in college, trying to train my ears to hear it and speak it.
  • pembe şemsiye (pink umbrella) - My friend Sheryl taught me this as I was preparing to move to Istanbul.  She saw me flipping through flashcards, and when I asked her how to say "umbrella" correctly, she told me that she learned these two words together.  I have never forgotten either word.
  • boşver (never mind) - I remember my friend Derya teaching me this word when we were speaking about religion once.  She wanted me to understand that she just didn't care.  She made me repeat it to her multiple times, and I have never forgotten it nor her consistent lack of interest to speak with me about what matters most to me in my life.
  • correct usage of verbs - on the back of my verb flashcards, I have sentences that my first tutor in Istanbul, Berivan, helped me write in order to make sure I learned how to use the verbs rightly.  She didn't let me get away with any mistakes.  She was a wonderful teacher.
When I pulled out my Turkish language resources, two letters fell out from between a couple books.  Two of my dearest friends from living in Istanbul (Nuriye and Ecehan) had written me letters after I returned to the States for my wedding.  I can't quite make out all of the content now, but I am so excited to regain that proficiency and read those letters fully again one day!

This is a language of relationship for me.  And for that reason it is a secondary heart language.  One I have set aside for five years.  I rejoice that I can finally fill my desk and my mind again with Turkish!

1 comment:

Lissa said...

Why are you picking it up again? Are there many Turks in Austria?