1.17.2015

A Nathanael Quote

A conversation with Nathanael tonight greatly illustrated how confusing (and funny) life can be with kids living in two languages (and cultures):

Nathanael: "Mom, I don't want to be a Pfarrer.  Can you pray that I won't be a Pfarrer?"

Kim: (I couldn't make out the word he was saying and didn't realize he was using a German word.)  A what, dear?
N: A Pfarrer.  Can you pray to Jesus that I won't have to be one?
K: I'm not understanding that word, Nathanael.  Can you explain it to me?
N: A Pfarrer.  A person who leads God's people.
K: (I still wasn't getting it.  I thought to myself, "Is he asking me to pray that he won't be a follower of Jesus?!  Oh my!")  Oh, and why don't you want to be one?
N: Because I want to get married one day.  Will you pray to Jesus that I won't have to be one, Mom?
K: (light coming on! Pfarrer is preist/pastor/minister in German!)  Oh, Nathanael!  If God calls you to be a Pfarrer, you can still get married!  (And then I went on to explain with examples of people he knows...)

Nathanael was relieved. :)

Apparently in Kindergarten on Friday, some of his friends were talking about becoming a priest, and Nathanael must have been a bit distraught about it.  I'm so glad he asked me to pray for him about it and that I was finally able to catch on!

No comments: