6.19.2010

Dear Nathanael (2 months)

My dearest Nathanael,

Today you are two months old! I'm so thankful for how God has grown and sustained you over these past two months! You are such a big boy, almost 13 pounds and really long too; you're in the 80th percentiles for your age! My back is definitely aware of how big you are as you most assuredly prefer to be held over anything else. (I know that's my fault, but how can I resist?) You are a true gift from God, my little one, and I thank Him for you every day.

This past month has brought about many changes. You no longer prefer walks in your carseat/stroller; the bjorn or sling are your rides of choice. You have been smiling consistently for a few weeks now, and you've even started to giggle a little now and then. I just love how your eyes light up when you smile. It is a delight to watch you interact socially with us more. Your coos are becoming more and more frequent each day. You are amazing on your tummy, lifting up your chest and head for minutes at a time so that you can see all around. Your doctor said we should watch out because you could roll over any day!

You still love your baths, so much so that we've made it a nightly bedtime routine for you. (It also helps wash off all that sticky spit-up you seem to always have in abundance!) You still fight sleep, maybe even a little more so than before. But you consistently make it one 4-6 hour stretch between feedings at night which is such a wonderful blessing to us! You are a much more efficient eater now, and you continue to take your daily bottle well - a fun way to involve Daddy, Auntie, or Grandma into your frequent meals.

We've had many fun adventures over the past month -- we've visited some of our favorite places in Boston and been to the beach a couple times! We've visited friends at their homes (the Fays, Robin's Memorial Day party, Aunt Angie & Uncle Andrew, Eden Thomason's birthday party...) and attended a couple parties at Tufts with my co-workers. You've joined me on grocery runs, and you continue to love the music at church each Sunday. I'm curious if you actually recognize Daddy's voice in it...

I think one of my favorite times this past month was taking a prayer walk with you and Daddy at dusk as we spoke with the Lord about His plans for our family. We walked to the Tufts library roof and looked out over our city and thanked God for His great work in our lives over the past and His promise to continue leading and guiding us in the future. We pray that you will learn to rely on God in this way as well as you witness how He faithfully watches over us, His children.

We love you dearly, little one. But our love will never compare to the love that God has for you, love so great that He gave His only Son's life to make a deep and pure relationship with Him possible for you. May you know this amazing sacrifice and accept it as the gift of grace that it is for you, Nathanael, our son "given of God".

And finally, I ran into this verse the other day, and it made me smile as I held you in my arms. Your middle name, Alim, means wise or learned in Turkish and Arabic. "The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice; he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him." (Proverbs 23:24) May the Lord grow you into a wise man, Alim canim!

Lovingly,
your daddy and mommy

Nathanael Alim - 2 month old

And a few outtakes...


No comments: