11.09.2009

Oh if only we had backed up our computer...

Our other blog-worthy event from our trip to Nashville is that of our computer hard drive crashing. I tried all of the trouble-shooting suggestions online to no avail. In fact, I couldn't even find the hard drive to "repair" it as they were instructing. We took it in to the Apple store today, and they determined that the hard drive has a mechanical failure. Ugh! Our "Genius" (as they call the techies who help you at the store) was great, and after attempting to recover the data himself, he referred us to a couple companies to contact for more complex data recovery. He set us up for our free replacement as soon as we're ready. And he even suggested that NEXT TIME, we buy an external hard drive and back up our computer regularly. ha ha The thing is, we'd been planning to do just that for the last ten months. We had even decided which one to buy... But we mistakenly assumed that our computer was still new enough that we could safely put it off a little longer. Boy, were we wrong!

So from one blogger who has lost all pictures, music, documents, papers, financials, etc. to a friend who has hopefully not experienced this, I urge you with fervency to stop putting off your computer back-up and do it NOW. You will not regret it.

2 comments:

Jennifer @ Diving In said...

We use an online backup service for our data (pics, music, most importantly my client data) - it backs up to a remote location every night with no effort on my part at all. I think it was around $150/year for the amount of data I back up; around 10G I think. Anyway, it is COMPLETELY worth the price to have it done automatically!

Anonymous said...

Ok. I'm gonna back mine up too. I had to leave a comment so I'd really do it! :)