11.09.2009

Airport Security?

Greg and I flew to Nashville on Wednesday for a conference. We had a great time reconnecting with some friends there and were thankful to be able to attend. Our stop-overs going and returning were both in Detroit, and we had a four hour lay-over on the way home on Friday. Greg's parents were able to pick us up in Detroit, and we had a wonderful dinner together at a nearby restaurant before heading back to the airport to return to Boston.

We had absolutely no trouble getting back in the Detroit airport, no problems with security. In fact, there was hardly anyone there at 8:00pm on a Friday, so we had 5-6 security officers assisting and chatting with us. As our plane was beginning to board, Greg and I pulled out our boarding passes to make sure we were sitting by each other. We were completely confused to not see our Detroit to Boston flight on my boarding pass. We knew we'd only received one boarding pass each so why were they different? I searched my bag for a second boarding pass, all the while knowing I didn't have one. But then I pulled one out of a book I had been reading on the last flight. We looked at the two boarding passes side by side and realized that I had gotten into the Detroit airport on the boarding pass of my seatmate from the prior leg!!! (Apparently I had picked it up and thought it was mine.) And you know what was even crazier than them not realizing my ID didn't match? My seatmate's trip ENDED in Detroit, so they shouldn't have even let me back in through the airport security on that boarding pass.

We were shocked, and I am still shocked as I write this. It definitely drives home the point that you really need to keep track of your boarding pass. It wouldn't be difficult for someone to fly as you!

3 comments:

the monkeys' mama said...

oh my! crazy story!

In other news, i bought your little bean a present this weekend! ;0

Drew and Carrie said...

and to think... you are supposedly marked for super duper crazy searches upon check-in since your "terrorist-like" incident that once! =)

Kim for the Kings said...

Oh my, I MUST explain my sister's comment. When I lived in Istanbul, Greg bought me a container of pepper spray to carry around with me. And when I returned to the States, I continued to carry it. Well, apparently, in order to carry pepper spray in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you have to register it with the police. And of course, I did not find this out until airport security caught me with it in the Boston airport once. Let's just say that they made quite the scene, and I was so embarrassed (and confused) that I don't know how I didn't cry.