1.26.2009

Call for Wisdom: Time to downsize?

I have some great pictures to post from playing in the snow last week and Greg's little b-day dessert party last night. And I want to write more about our trip to Turkey and the awesome six people who are joining us in March. (And I will do all of the above...sometime.) Oh, I should also be practicing music for a women's retreat in a couple weeks (I get to lead the worship through music!) and going through the humongous pile of mail and finance-y stuff stuffed in the corner of the bedroom. (And again, I will do both...sometime.)

But right now I'm lying on the couch dozing in and out of sleep and thinking about whether or not we should move apartments this summer after Greg graduates. The American dream says to "move up," "grow," "expand." But that's not really our trajectory for the next few years. We LOVE our current apartment. It's great for hosting for daytime events and overnight stays; all the amenities are a plus; we use the indoor pool quite a bit; oh, and did I mention that we're comfortable and settled here? It has been a blessing, and we are thankful. So how much extra savings makes it worth going through ANOTHER move? That's the big question running through my heart and mind. Thankfully, God knows the answer. And thankfully, He will lead us on that path.

So as we walk this path, I have a question for you all -- any wisdom you'd like to offer us as we consider moving to a smaller apartment for the next year in order to save some money, pay off a few more school loans, and shed a few more "belongings" to make a probable international move a little less cumbersome down the road?

2 comments:

Portia said...

I know you two will make wise decisions. But my two cents: don't forget to count the "hidden" costs (and maybe savings) of moving in your cost/benefit analysis. Moving costs, possible new public transit expenses, etc. can add up. And don't forget to think about how your utility bills will change depending on where you end up. Sorry - this is the lawyer in me. That was all numbers stuff. Ugh. I am so boring.

Kristen said...

Well, it sounds like your apartment works so well for you now (and I think it's beautiful!). And, shed some belongings? Your place is so nice and uncluttered. It doesn't seem like you have too many belongings to begin with. ;-) But I certainly admire and understand the goal of saving money for the future, and I'll pray that God makes the decision clear to you so you know what to do.