11.24.2008

With hands outstretched to whatever lies ahead

Greg and I were scheduled to have our first prenatal visit this morning -- meet our doctor and nurses, be overwhelmed with information about pregnancy and childbirth, and hear our baby's heartbeat for the first time. We were so excited to share with everyone at Thanksgiving that we were going to be parents. But then two weeks ago, we miscarried. It's been an interesting journey for us to walk, one we've been privileged to invite a few people into over the past two weeks, including our families and our church community group. We're thankful for their support and presence as it has not been easy.

I was not originally planning to share this with our blogging community until I read something this morning that made me realize that I simply had to share this with you all. I’ve mentioned previously that I am in a Bible study with two other ladies from my church. We recently completed our Beth Moore study on the tabernacle, and we started a month-long study walking through the book “31 Days of Praise” by Ruth Myers. I was so blessed to begin this study a few days after Greg and I received our sad news; it is exactly where God needs me to focus my heart for this month.

So here were some of the words from Ruth’s prayer this morning (pulled and compiled from various Bible verses): “…I praise You for Your sovereignty over the broad events of my life and over the details. With You, nothing is accidental, nothing is incidental, and no experience is wasted. You hold in Your own power my breath of life and all my destiny. And every trial that You allow to happen is a platform on which You reveal Yourself, showing Your love and power, both to me and to others looking on. Thank You that I can move into the future non-defensively, with hands outstretched to whatever lies ahead, for You hold the future and You will always be with me, even to my old age…and through all eternity.”

That is how I desire my life to be positioned – with hands outstretched to whatever lies ahead, seeing every trial as an opportunity to know and show God’s love and power in my life.

“Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word.” 2 Thessalonians 2:17

8 comments:

Joann said...

Thanks for sharing your heart and your gleanings from the Word and your study. We all need to be reminded of that. It's way past time to see you in person, my dear daughter; ten months is way, way too long. We definitely need to do better in 2009!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Grant and I will be praying for you and Greg! We love you guys!

The Wells Family-Jason, Gwen, Paige, and Lane said...

Greg & Kim,
I'm so sorry. It is so comforting to know that God will send the right people and the words you need to hear at the time you need Him the most.
Love, Gwen

Anonymous said...

I ache for you.

Thanks for choosing to be vulnerable. We hope to see you both soon.

Earl and Lois said...

Thanks for letting us know of your loss so we can comfort you with our thoughts and prayers and also grieve with you as we feel the loss also. We can tell that your strong faith will help you meet the challenge and carry you on to what lies ahead.
Love to both of you from Grandpa Earl and Grandma Lois.

Kevin and Keri Sheckler said...

I, too, miscarried one of our children. It's not easy but allowing others to come along you and support you through prayer sure does help.

Praying for you in Chicagoland.

Mike & Dana said...

Thanks for sharing your loss with us, Mike and I will be praying for you both. We lost a baby at 9 weeks before we got pregnant with Cade and it was so heartbreaking.
I loved the passage you relayed and am copying it for our own struggles with being unsure what God has planned for us.
With much love,
Dana

rindy said...

Thanks for sharing your heart, Kim. I've had so many dear friends experience this recently. Know that I'm praying for you and Greg that the verses you just shared will continue to comfort and guide you.