2.16.2011

Worthy of my Facebook profile?

I finally caved and added Turkish to my Facebook profile. I feel slightly hypocritical in doing so. It's been six long years since I have lived in the country, and my retention is not the greatest. Yes, I still dream in Turkish now and then, I remember and understand most of the grammatical rules, and simple conversations are well, simple. But my vocabulary is embarrasing! Sometimes I cannot remember the most basic of words - like common fruits and vegetables! My pronunciation is dwindling which means my spelling is not always right anymore (it's a phonetical language). And to be honest, sometimes I can't even understand my Turkish friends' status updates! So thus I have resisted adding it to my Facebook profile.

Until I started learning German.

I now distinctly recall the first few months of learning Turkish while at Baylor. I would lie in bed at night and practice the four different "o" and "u" sounds over and over, trying to imitate my tutor's pronunciation and hear the differences. I recall how difficult it was to carry on the most basic of conversations. If someone didn't say a phrase with the exact vocabulary I learned, I was hopeless. I remember how I had to translate all the words and grammar in my head from Turkish to English and then reorganize them back into English word order so that I could make sense of anything.

And here I am again, but this time with German.

I realize that though I am quite limited in my Turkish right now, six years later, it won't require a whole lot to regain it quickly.

So now as I begin to learn German (and I say that quite loosely), I have decided that my knowledge of Turkish is most definitely worthy of my Facebook profile.

German? Definitely not.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

While the der/das/die is hard to work through, I think German follows the grammar of English much more than Turkish does (darn separable verbs notwitstanding).

Keep up the good work! I miss you guys and hope to see you somehow before you move to Der Osterriech.