5.13.2009

Enthralled with God's great global purposes

Over the past few months, I've been reading Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper. I've been taking it slowly to try and really take in each chapter. I originally picked it up because of the second to last chapter called "Making Much of Christ from 8 to 5," which I highly recommend. But in order to better understand the logic in that chapter, I started from the beginning. Now on the final chapter, I simply had to share a grouping of verses Piper emphasizes that mean so much to me.

All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you. For kingship belongs to the LORD, and he rules over the nations. (Psalm 22:27-28)

Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples! . . . Say among the nations, "The LORD reigns." (Psalm 96:3, 10)

Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:18-20)

I make it my ambition to preach the gospel, not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else's foundation, but as it is written, "Those who have never been told of him will see, and those who have never heard will understand." (Romans 15:20-21)

And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are you [O Christ] to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth." (Revelation 5:9-10)

No comments: