5.24.2008

Why do I care so much?

I broke my favorite glass pitcher.  If anyone else had broken it, I would've immediately said, "Oh don't worry about it.  It's okay.  It happens to everyone.  It's just a material object."  But when I broke it, those words just didn't seem to console me.  (Believe me, I tried to say them to myself.)  I think I would've preferred to drop it on the floor and see it shattered into a million pieces.  But no, I barely tapped it against our crockpot, and less than an inch long triangle chipped from the top.  It was just a glass pitcher.  But it was the most "me" glass pitcher I have ever seen.  Why do I even care?  *sigh*  I made Greg take it out of my hands and walk it to the rubbish bin.  I couldn't even throw it away myself.  What a strange culture we live in that I mourn the loss of a glass pitcher...  And I have the gall to think I'm making headway with not holding tightly to things of this world!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I hate getting into a "worldly things" argument with myself. It just makes my insides feel icky. I'm sorry that your pitcher broke though and hope you find another to replace it.

Now what is up with the rubbish bin? Is that something you learned on the East Coast? LOL.