7.04.2015

An accidental adventure

So I like to pretend that I don't have a lot of "blonde" moments.  The thing is, when I do, they're no small thing.

Nathanael and I were so excited to pick up Grandpa and Grandma at the airport a week ago.  We had to leave straight away from our church's end-of-year Sunday School party in order to catch the train.  At the last minute, as we were on our first tram in the journey to the airport, he and I decided to go a different way than we usually do, to check out the train from the main station near our home instead of the normal one we take from a few stops away.

We've traveled enough by train here that I know how it works.  I have no anxiety about what we're doing.  I understand the station announcements.  I know how the ticketing works.  Unfortunately, I was a little too confident last Sunday.  Instead of making it to the airport in 15 minutes, we ended up at this town in the Czech Republic an hour later:
IMG_0039
I can try and convince you that it wasn't my fault.  The train we boarded was late departing due to the ticket checker helping a disabled person board; thus the station announcement I heard stating that the train to the airport had arrived at the platform was actually incorrect.  The ticket checker was apologetic that she hadn't been able to give the final announcement on the train due to assisting someone board, and she mentioned that the station announcement was incorrect.  There.  That's my defense.  But the truth is, the displays both on the platform and on the train were blatantly clear.  So much so that about 20 seconds before the train departed, I leaned over to Nathanael after having confusedly looked at both displays and said, "Umm, I'm not sure we're on the right train.  I think..."

Too late.  The train was departing, and the next stop was an hour away.
IMG_0032
I can't tell you how proud I am of my Nathanael.  He held it together, despite the obvious disappointment, despite the intensity of stress we had during the first 15 minutes of the ride, attempting to figure out what to do and how to adjust, and he chose to have fun and make this trip into an adventure.  At a few points during the afternoon, I thought he would have a little breakdown as he processed what Mom's mistake meant for him -- not getting to pick up Grandpa and Grandma at the airport!  I would have totally understood, had he needed to vent in that way.  Instead, he was simply chill and pleasant, and I was greatly thankful to God for that piece of grace.
IMG_0033
Our ticket checker was wonderful, didn't charge us a thing, told us about a park and walking area, recommended a restaurant, and attended to us on the return trip two hours later.  She was a gift from God.

For some reason, Nathanael thought this statue was the coolest.  I have no idea what it was; this was truly a foreign country and language to me.
IMG_0031
IMG_0030
The recommended restaurant was amazing.  Crazy cheap.  I had a Melange.  And it had a play area.
IMG_0036
So all in all, this intended 50 minute trip to the airport turned into a five hour mother-son date, precious time together before greeting the grandparents at our home!
IMG_0040
On the return train trip, Nathanael sat in the kids' corner and watched a show.  I sat and read and reflected on the afternoon...
IMG_0044
...I laughed out loud at myself and tried really hard not to give into the emotional stress and cry.

This is one adventure I'd rather not repeat, thank you.

Nathanael will never let me live this one down. :)

No comments: