6.24.2013

Motherly Musings

I was going to rest for twenty minutes, but my heart and mind are so active and full right now, that I decided to rest in another way -- by putting my thoughts to paper (or rather, a blogpost).  Nathanael just awoke from his afternoon nap, and I can hear his happy chatter with Grandpa and Grandma as they talk and read together in the next room.  Evangeline is sleeping peacefully beside me, once in a while letting out an adorable little infant squeak.  I might have to start calling her my mouse, which is fun since that's a common term of endearment for little ones here in Austria.

God has graced us with an amazing first four days.

Our birth experience with Nathanael was such a strange one, though the actual labor and deliver went exceptionally well.  My recovery from delivery with Nathanael was a long and difficult and painful one, for reasons I won't detail here.  And Nathanael and I had some significant challenges to overcome with nursing, which increased the struggle of the first six weeks.

In contrast, Evangeline's birth was as I never could have imagined or expected, and it was a true gift from God.  My need to recover physically has been almost completely absent, and Evangeline seems to have been born knowing how to nurse, especially free of the physical challenges Nathanael had.  I've been able to focus on resting and getting special moments with both children and Gregory as well.

My heart is overflowing with gratitude to God for the gift of these first few days.  They are not wholly without pain or struggle, but they have gone much better than I could have even dreamed to ask for.

Thank you, Father, for these unexpected moments and days to rest and reflect and bow before You in awe that You would gift me with these precious treasures.  They are Yours, Lord.  Lead me in mothering them that they may see and know You.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Congratulations, your daughter is beautiful! Can't wait to meet her!

Bryan, Lauren, and Brennan

PS...Did you steal that apron from Starbucks?

Portia said...

Love to read this my friend. So pleased that you're having such an amazing experience. Such a blessing!