10.13.2010

Teach us to number our days.

Psalm 90 has been rolling around in my head for the past few days. I am amazed at God's perspective on time and what that means for me, especially on the days when Nathanael's not doing as well as normal and I am struggling to know how to mother him well. "From everlasting to everlasting You are God... For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, or as a watch in the night... The years of our life are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away... So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom..." It is interesting to me how quickly I forget the toil and trouble of yesterdays. But in the moment, it all seems so huge. I want God to teach me to number my days that I may gain a heart of wisdom.

I love how this Psalm continues; it really speaks to me right now: "Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days... Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children. Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands!"

Every day, I pray that God would be Nathanael's satisfier, that he would rejoice in the Lord all his days, that he would know God's glorious power. How? Through our example. What an incredibly huge responsibility! Oh that God would establish the work of my hands - motherhood - and that Nathanael would see the Lord's favor upon us!

3 comments:

Amy D said...

what a precious mother you are kim.

Zek's Mom said...

Kim that verse was in my devos yesterday and God used it to speak to me in similiar ways! We serve an awesome God!!!!

Portia said...

Sweet Kim! You are such a sweet, loving mother to Nathanael!! I was thinking of you a lot yesterday and prayed for you on the T on my way home. Miss you!