5.18.2020

A New Type of School and a Sensational Spring

After nine weeks away from the school building and eight weeks of school-from-home, the kids are now at school for four hours, every other day until July 3rd.  With holidays, it ends up being 14 days total.  It was a bit of a stressful weekend helping them prepare, going through all their supplies and books and worksheets, finding small toys to play with alone at their desks and packing a bag for alone play in the schoolyard, making sure they understand the new procedures for arrival and departure, when they must wear masks, when they must wash hands, and on and on.  Oh, and Abstand, Abstand, Abstand!  *distance*  But we made it, and I must admit the admittance into school at 7:45 (for the two first grade "half" classes and their siblings) was not as stressful as I expected.  The 20 or so kids were all quiet and nervous and excited, and the adults were all simply doing our best to guide and encourage them in this big step.

On my walk home from school drop-off, I was simply overcome with the sights and sounds and smells of Spring.  I love every single season, and I love the changing of seasons.  Each season has its unique sensory stimulation, and Spring this year is definitely not disappointing.

The sweet scent of the wild rose bushes in full bloom all over is sensational.
 
And that scent mixed with the elder flowers is heavenly.
We have both types of wild flowers growing along our driveway!  But we enjoy the scents when we take walks along the stream as well.  We collected elder flowers a couple evenings ago and made syrup together as a family.  It is incredible mixed with soda water or even with a little white wine!

The sounds of the birds all around delight me as well.  We have a couple families of birds which visit our bird feeder multiple times a day.  One of these days we'll capture a picture of them.
This was my walking buddy along the stream.  I had seen him off and on over the last couple of months, but there was something special about greeting him again on this morning after dropping the kids off at school.  It just felt normal.  I like the continuity of finding him still in his habitat.

 And of course the ducks.  Gregory informed me there were ducks on our roof yesterday evening!
 These are some of my favorite trees.  I love the sound of the wind in the leaves. 

 And the wheat fields are beautiful right now.
Eva said to me on our bike ride yesterday, "Wow, Mom.  That farmer is working so hard.  He could feed the whole city with that field, right?" :)

This Kansas girl loves that we have wheat fields nearby.

No comments: